Saturday, November 11, 2006

17 Days Post Surgery


I'm still completely numb in my lower lip and chin and also still swollen, a little more on the left than right. It feels really weird not being able to feel my lower lip when I drink--like its not there, kind of creepy. I'm not drinking as much because of it. When I eat, I have to wipe with each spoonful just to make sure I'm not dribling on myself.

I also still have mouth pain at various times in different locations. Sometimes I'll have a surge of pain in a certain part of my mouth like its coming back to life but it usually doesn't last long. And the one persistent feeling is the burning in my lower lip. With my lower jaw moved forward, the braces are rally cutting into my lower lip.

Yesterday my surgeon gave me device to exercise my jaw (the "torture device"). I have to insert the device, widen my mouth/jaw until it hurts, leave it there for a stretch and then relax. He wants me to do this 20 times about 12 times a day! Ouch, after doing it last night I had got a pretty bad headache and went to bed early. But I don't get to pass "go" until I get to a range of 40 mm and right now I'm barely at 10 mm.


Speaking of mm's, I learned yesterday that my advancement was a total of 11 mms; my jaw was moved forward 5 mms and my chin 6. My surgeon is very happy with my profile.

I went back to work mid-week which was two weeks from my surgery date. Interesting reactions from co-workers. Some really saw a difference. Some didn't. The hardest part about returning to work was talking. It really hurts with all the mouth pain, lip burning and rubber bands, to talk. And I do a fair amount of talking at work. My energy level is slowly getting better but still not really up to par. Because of the face swelling, I still have to wait a few more weeks to return to yoga. The only exercise I'm getting is walking a half hour in the mornings. And as of today, I have lost about 5 pounds since the surgery. (Jeff has lost 6!)

I had my third manual lymphatic draining (MLD) treatment yesterday. I highly recommend it. Its relaxing and seems to really be helping with the swelling. Last night I also got an amazing foot reflexology treatment. If you live in the Southern California area, I highly recommend my therapist, Cynthia Bartholmey (listed on Dr. Vodder's website). She definitely has the healing touch. She's located in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area, 323.240.9048.

4 comments:

Mrs. Shanton said...

Mary--thanks for linking to my blog; I'll do the same. Nice to have found you! I hope your lip is getting better; of course you realize this is a good sign that you won't have complete and permanent numbness. Your nerves are awake and regenerating. Yaaaaay!

Mary said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

hello Mary,
thanks for your interesting block
my name is zaher ,i am studing about orthognathic surgery in japan,and that is why i was embarrassed to your situation after the surgery .
i can tell you that this is the normal after 17 days of surgery and even after 30 days.
however,your profile is getting better and i was really surprized that your are 47 when you seem to me as 30 by photos.
please keep in touch and let me aware of your situation and even your supervisor's advices.
email:zeimich@hotmail.com

Rebecca Dru said...

Yes indeed, Manual Lymphatic Massage Therapist, Cynthia Bartholmey is incredible! I found out about her on her website
http://lymphaticbodyworks.com

I also enjoy using the global beauty products she sells. My skin is so much healthier now between the massage and the skincare line I started using a few months ago!