Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I'm Itching and I Can't Skratch

Talk about frustrating. I wish for just one good scratch, right on my chin! Ugghh!!!

I've been having a lot of sensation in my bottom lip (mostly burning but also some pain and some pulling feelings and it feels frozen and indeed looks frozen). And I've been having a lot of itching, burning, tingling, and warm sensations on my chin. Almost like I can feel something on it but when I touch my chin or lip, nothing. Like its not there.

I still have to feel whatever I'm eating or drinking with my bottom lip. And I still catch myself drooling. Mostly when I'm home alone as if I'm out I always have a napkin in my hand to wipe! And it still takes me a long time to eat. Today we had an office lunch at a Chinese Restaurant to celebrate a birthday. Everyone got up to leave and my plate was still full of food!

So anyway, that's what life is like at almost 5 months post surgery.

7 comments:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Miss Mary,
That is really exciting news! I mean, I'm know it doesn't feel good (believe me I know exactly what you are decribing) but it is definitley positive news! Means that your little nerves are working away at repairing themselves and soon you will no longer be drooling and be able to feel your bottom lip, and most especially that lovely new chin of yours!

I can tell you that I hate that tingly, burning, warmth more than just about anything. It is so aggravating. Like a subtle form of torture, but I also know (from experience with it) that the results of that constant aggravation are great. So...do your best to deal with it right now as usually it doesn't take too long once you start feeling those sensations for the actual feeling to return!

I'm so happy for you!

Team Wolder said...

Mary -
I can relate to your last post even at just over 6 months post-op. The lip/chin numbness is the most frustrating thing for me at this point. The minimal swelling - ah, doesn't bother me so much. I still have to really think about how to chew. It's not that I am unable to use enough force, it's like my teeth are still learning how to work with my new bite.

Bill said...

Mary,

I know exactly what you're talking about. Other than my breathing issues, this is easily one of my biggest discomforts.

I've been fairly fortunate I think in that I started getting the tingling, burning, itching and muscle spasms almost from day one after surgery.

It's Bad in that it can drive you to distraction but oh so good in what it means as far as getting full feeling back.

Maggie said...

I second what Bill said. My lower right lip and right chin are still numb, too - but I'm getting the tingling sensations just like you. That means the full feeling's coming back sooner or later, right? Better than not feeling anything....

Mrs. Shanton said...

Hey, woo HOO! I'm happy for you about what seems to be nerve regeneration? I myself LOVE the tingling and burning and especially the occasional nerve zaps. I LOVE it. It means there's life in there! But, like Kelsie, I also have difficulty chewing with the new bite, and the new lip orientation. But it's all good. I'm not lacking in nutrition. I've got some to spare!

Mary said...

Thanks guys for your comments and support, I appreciate it! And Steph, are we ever gonna get an updated photo on you? I think the blogfolks are getting restless.

treva42 said...

Hello! Can anyone relate to me? I am 9 days post op an my lips are on fire! They are bright red and burning like crazy. I keep putting vasoline on them and nothing helps. does anyone know how long this will last?

Help!