Tuesday, May 08, 2007


Is it just me? I noticed since I first learned about orthognathic surgery that I look at people differently. Today I was watching a taped Opera show with Tommy Hilfiger as a guest. And the whole time I was looking at his mouth. I would guess that he had an overbite and his orthodontist just slapped braces on him much like my first orthodontist had proposed. Dr. Aronowitz pointed out to me that if I just had my overbite fixed without advancing the lower jaw, aside from all of the other problems, my top lip would just hang over my teeth and I wouldn't like how it looked. And that's exactly how Tommy looks -- his top lip just kind of collapses over his top teeth (which are beautiful by the way). Of course, I'm probably completely wrong, Tommy probably never wore braces.

And I do this a lot, notice people's bite, their jaw, their lips, etc. Its funny HOW MANY PEOPLE actually have a misaligned jaw. Mostly I notice people with overbites and a receding chin. I guess I kind of wonder if they can go through life with an overbite, why couldn't I? Why did I go and have this surgery. Ha, its six months too late for that kind of introspection. But actually, I'm glad I had the surgery. Even with the numb chin.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

It's true! It's like this new-found enlightenment. Our experiences really do shape who we are.

Tara said...

I find myself doing the exact same thing! By the way, you look AMAZING!

Graham said...

Yep, me too. I do it daily on the subway. A little freelance ortho! I often wonder if people realize they can fix it if they wanted to.

I also often notice a lot of celebrities who have veneers. Like Barry Gibb last night on American Idol. He has a very small mouth and it looked so fake. He talks with a lisp like Sean Connery. Not sure if that's because of the veneers or what. Not to say that veneers can't look good, but if they look too fake I have to wonder if conventional ortho would have been a better solution.

Brandyleigh35 said...

Yep..I'm guilty too! But doing this you then get back to that whole debate about cosmetics or functionality. People still view the whole orthodontic thing as being strictly (mostly) for appearances. Most don't even consider that orthodontics could be used to fixed their issues. They just assume a person who has them is doing it to look better. Many people I have found too, just plain don't care. Their teeth work, they can chew and they can swallow and for them that is good enough. They would never consider undergoing orthodontia as that would make them vain, and it is a very bad thing to be vain to some people you know? LOL...

But hey, I think it is natural to do this, and I do it all the time too. IT's sorta like when I was pregnant and I noticed every single women who was pregnant. It sorta alters the lenses you view the world through and changes your focus. Know what I mean?

Brandy

Mrs. Shanton said...

Guilty. Lots of bad teeth out there in Hollywood. Hillary Duff, for one. I guess braces aren't cool for stars. What a shame. I think they're cute.