Friday, April 27, 2007

Dr. Aronowitz & Staff


So getting the braces off was not that much fun for me! (I'm sure not for Harry or Lashon either -- I'm no prize patient -- they are really patient!)

I had a band on one of my top molars and I thought that the whole tooth was going to come off. The brackets came off fairly easy. To get the glue off, Dr. A used a drill and I had to hold my breath each time he started it. It took about 45 minutes to get everything off and for a good polish (Dr. A did a really nice polish). My teeth and gums are very senstive, particularly on the bottom.

Then I got a permanent retainer glued onto my bottom teeth -- a wire in the back, a bonding thread on the front. This keep my bottom teeth stable while my bones settle down. There is a raging debate about whether I will get implants on the bottom. Well, not really raging. It will depend on whether I get my feeling back. My dentist thinks I will; my surgeon doesn't and he wants to go right ahead and put the implants in which would most likely severe the nerve.

I picked out a removal retainer for the top which I pick up next week. I went with a very exciting color -- clear.

Total time spent at the orthodontist was 2 hours 38 minutes with one minute to spare on the parking meter. I didn't go back to work. Instead, I decided to stop off for a chocolate muffin! Time in bottom baces: 23 months; time in top braces -- about 9 months.

I just realized that I am six months and 2 days post surgery.

3 comments:

Team Wolder said...

Mary,

You look amazing! You must be so pleased with your results. Congrats on the big debracing :)

Maggie said...

Thanks for sharing your experience - it always helps to know what to expect. :)

Mrs. Shanton said...

I'm scared!
I have sensitive teeth, too. I'm real, real scay-urd.

Congrats on making it through that. Tough decision on the lower implants, eh??