Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Abutments, healing caps, and more feeling is coming back

So I had another visit with my prosthodontist today -- actually two visits in one. He unscrewed and took off the healing caps and put the abutments on so that he could take the impressions for the crowns. It was not the most fun visit but I survived. Even though I'm still numb on my gums on the bottom, I'm also supersensitive, so when he started pushing the impression caps onto the abutments, it hurt like heck, in a prickly painful way. I was glad when that part was over. My bottom lip, which is still numb, was tingling like crazy.

Rather than take the abutments off and rescrew on the healing caps, he left them on. Better chance for accuracy, I think is how he explained it. Also, it would eliminate and in-between-visit before getting the actual crowns on. So he put (snapped on) white plastic healing caps on top of the abutments. Three of them came off when I ate my lunch. So much for snapping! Three weeks of this . . . I guess its back to soft chew.

Oh, and I've noticed lately that I am getting slightly more feeling back on the lower chin and lip.

3 comments:

Lirpa said...

Hi, I just had orthognathic surgery 2 weeks ago. I am 37. I am very scared that the feeling won't ever come back in my lip and chin. I am completely numb but feel a strange sensation in my chin sometimes. I've read your entire blog and wanted to thank you for sharing your story.

I think I screwed up today and ate soft foods too early, and now I am paranoid that the lower half of my jaw is moving but not the back half, as if the screws have come loose. Probably my imagination but I have stopped talking and eating out of fear. I have rigid fixation and I was only banded shut for a week.

All this time you've posted that you have been noticing little improvements in your chin and lip, but I am very curious if you feel that overall you can tell a difference or if it is your imagination.

Unlike you I had tremendous pain after surgery, I had to have 3 or 4 doses of morphine, and then a demoral shot in the butt every 6 hours over the next day and a half. Do you think that is a reason to be hopeful that the feeling will come back soon.

Thanks again and I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Mary said...

Hi Libra, thanks for your post and for reading my blog. I think that it is way too soon for you to be worrying about whether your feeling will return. But I understand how you feel -- it was like that for me too. I actually do think that there has been a noticeable change in how much feeling I have back as right after the surgery I had absolutely no feeling and now I do have quite a bit of sensation back. I had a double whammy with having the nerve repositioning for the dental implants. My surgeon did warn me when I had the BSSO that there was a good likelihood given my age that I would not get the feeling back, and now that 1.5 years have passed, I'm pretty much used to it. However, I do think that if the feeling does come back, its incremental. I think that is pretty true for everyone unless they are really young.
I would not worry too much about your soft chew, I don't think the screws can move but if you are really worried, you might want to call your surgeon. I started a soft chew pretty much on day 4. I did have some fears as well, I think that's normal. I was only banded for a short while myself. Everything you are saying sounds a lot like how I felt.
And I'm sorry to hear about your pain, hopefully that is a positive indication with regard to getting feeling back.
I'm curious to know more about your surgery, etc. Will you be putting up a blog? I think that blogging has a positive effect and it really helped me to deal with the whole ordeal.

Mary said...

PS--sorry about mispelling your name.