Saturday, December 30, 2006

Nine & A Half Weeks

Christmas Day marked two months since my surgery. Other than some remaining swelling (more on the left than right side) and the numbness in my chin and bottom lip, I am pretty much back to normal. I am eating somewhat regular foods like cut up chicken and turkey along with soft foods. I still have some mobility problems with eating, I don't really have good control over what's in my mouth. So it takes me quite a bit longer to finish a meal. I'm really self-consious eating in public. And I actually kind of miss my soup diet so I am still having Jeff make them for me.

I'm getting used to the numbness to the point where I don't notice it that much anymore (except when I'm eating). I still have strange sensations and I'm hoping this means nerve regneration. To me my chin kind of feels frozen and I feel like I look funny when I talk.

Another complication is that my partial that I had for some bottom missing molars no longer fits so I don't have enough bottom molars to really chew. I can't have a new partial made until I am done with the orthodontics.

I am anxious see my orthodontist on Tuesday. Its been just a little over a month since my last visit and I am having some strange teeth movement. My two front teeth seem to be moving closer together causing gaps on either side. I imagine my orthodontist has some good plan in mind but it is just a little unnerving. What I am really looking forward to is getting the braces off. I only have some minor tweeking of teeth so hopefully they will be off in 3-4 months. After that I will have a CT scan to see about bone grafts and implants.

PS--I have regained some feeling in the inside of my bottom lip when I bite on it, on both sides. So that is encouraging!

3 comments:

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Mary,
You are looking wonderful. I'm encouraged to hear that your numbness seems to be improving a bit, and have to tell you that since I had my SARPE that I have difficulty with manuevering food around in my mouth also. Things are so much bigger and just different, eating is a much harder process and while I know its bad, I find that I do not chew my food very well anymore as I just want to get it down an not have to work at it.

I can understand you like the soup diet, I like it best too, and find that I eat a lot of yogurt too as it just seems to go down easier and not be too much work to maneuver. Also, I don't have to spend any time getting food out of my braces etc when I eat the liquid stuff.

Glad to hear you are doing well...and thanks for the well wishes while I was in Hawaii. It was so fun! WE had a wonderful time!

Brandy

Mary said...

Hi Brandy, thanks for your note and for reminding me to post about regaining feeling back on the inside of my bottom lip. I will send you a longer note to your email account. Mary

Brandyleigh35 said...

Great, I look forward to hearing from you!

Brandy