Friday, February 09, 2007

Fifteen Weeks Post Surgery

So I saw my surgeon, Dr. Kaufman, yesterday, for my 15 week post checkup. My orthognathic adventure is pretty much over and everything turned out well, all 3 of my doctors (orthodontist, dentist and surgeon) are all thrilled with the result. Now we are moving forward with implants, starting with the three on top. And then finally, the cosmetic crowns. I can't wait until I won't be embarrased about my teeth.

I have decided to have Dr. Kaufman also do my implants and we had a long talk about it yesterday. He told me that there is a good chance that the numbness on the bottom will be permanent due to my age. I wasn't so happy about that. But, if the feeling does not return, this means that he will be able to do bottom implants without bone grafts. So it won't be all bad if I stay numb.

However, if the feeling comes back, he said there is a good chance he may not even be able to do the implants on the bottom, even with bone grafts, because of my small face structure and the nerve is too high. He would not be able to put the implants in far enough without damaging the nerve. Interesting. So, we'll see.

So now its just a matter of waiting for the braces to come off so that I can proceed with the implants on top. Probably about three months.

I really like my surgeon. He spent a lot of time with me yesterday. And he told me all about his adventures in India. Sounded a little hairy!

6 comments:

Maggie said...

One step at a time! Sounds like you're making really good progress - and you'll get there before you know it! When it's all done, I imagine you'd be not only not "embarrassed" about your teeth, but you'd be PROUD of them! Way to go, Mary! :)

Daniel said...

Congratulations on how far you've made it! Seems like you're coming along fine. I appreciate that you've added my link (I did the same to you). And thanks for those anti-nausea ideas, I really appreciate it.

I loved reading your blog. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Brandyleigh35 said...

Wow Mary,
I don't think I would like that info regarding the numbness. I mean especially since they really didn't give you much info about it before hand.

How many mm were you advanced again? My ortho says I will only need about 4mm of advancment. From what I have read, smaller advancements are associated with less numbness issues. I am concerned about it though, as I too have a rather small jaw line and mouth. My OS will be doing a bone graft on my lower left second molar while he is in doing the BSSO. He says bone grafts need to heal for 8 months before the implant can be placed, but he wanted to do it while he was in there as he said he would have access to extra bone and of course its preferred that they use your own. Anyway....I'm seriously sorta nervous about the numbness stuff. Especially in my lower lip. I think I could live with the chin stuff but I really want to feel my lips. Has that improved for you at all???

How is it that they could place the implants without grafts, if they have concerns about the location of your nerves? What is the option if they can't place them? A bridge?

Brandy

Mary said...

Hey Brandy, I actually do recall my surgeon told me in my first meeting that the numbness may be permanent. I can understand that its disturbing news for someone looking ahead to surgery. I don't know how I would have felt had I really considered it. And yes, I left feeling a little confused about the whole bone grafts and implant thing. I was surprised when Dr. K told me that he may not have to do bone grafts as I have lost a lot of bone. But he is one of the very first surgeons in LA to do implants and does many on a daily basis. I really think at this point its still premature to say I won't get my feeling back. My accupuncturist thinks there's still a good chance. But if not, don't forget I am almost 7 years older than you. So you still gain a good chance for complete return of feeling. Your surgeon sounds much more conservative than mine, he said it would be about 4 months of healting before implants could be put in. But he did say we would wait before doing the scan for the lower to see what is what, so at this point its all speculation.
My surgeon seems to be less conservative than other's surgeons, for example, I was not banded that long, I was only on clear liquids for a day; I was only on the soft chew for a month, etc., etc. so each surgeon seems to have different "rules" so to speak. Dr. K did tell me that the surgeon who assisted him in my surgery is much more conservative, requirement much longer waiting periods.
My jaw advancement was 5 mm's (my chin 6). I hope that my story does not deter you from pursuing your surgery. You seem to be very well prepared.

Graham said...

Hi Mary... This is my first visit to your blog. I just looked at your before and afters and wanted to say how great your result is! Congratulations! I'll be reading along with you now.

Mary said...

Thanks Graham! I have linked your blog to mine. M