Thursday, February 22, 2007

Proud Mary Keeps on Burning

Sunday will be my 4 month anniversary since my surgery. I am still numb on my bottom lip and chin. For the past couple of days I have had more burning on my lip and more itching. I hope that's good! I also continue to have a strange feeling across my lip, like someting is pressing against it, restraining it, even though I can move it. Its hard to explain. Sometimes I have a really strong ticking sensation on my chin that I can't scratch. I had a lot of that right after the surgery and then it kind of subsided. My acupuncturist thinks there's a good chance I'll get my feeling back but I have to admit, I'm a tad discouraged. I wanted my feeling back since day 1!

And I'm eating quite normally even though I still have an issue with the mobility of food in my mouth. Seems I just can't chew as big as a mouthful as I'm used to. But I'm eating quite normally, almost everything. My scale says I still weight the same, 105, but my yoga pants say 125. I'm sure its just a matter of time before the weight comes back on. Its interesting how it took its time coming off.

I'm getting more comments from people who see me about how I look, how different I look, positive comments. Its kind of nice. Now I'm looking forward to getting my braces off and getting the rest of my dental work finished. Seems like it will be forever!

5 comments:

Graham said...

Yeah, give it another month or two and I bet you'll have a lot of feeling back, it does take a while. Good news that you have some tingling sensation now! :)

Maggie said...

Whoa, Mary, did you lose 20 lbs on your already slim 125 frame? That's really significant.

Did you see my responses to your comments? I left them as comments on my blog, right below yours.

I do still have some numbness on my lower right lip. Tingling sensations. Oh, and the right chin feels numb, too.

No, I didn't have a nose job. The nose looks different because of all the soft tissue movements due to the upper jaw surgery. The OS cut off a 6 mm slice horizontally (to reduce the gummy smile), and brought my upper jaw forward 1 to 2 mm.

Mary said...

Hey Kristen, thanks for your note and also for your comments on your blog. The way that you explained it makes sense. Its amazing how much your face has changed in the pics you posted of your profile. Are you starting to get used your new look?
I've been having a lot of sensations on my lip and chin in the last days, very strange and making me hopeful that I will soon start getting more feeling back. Mary

Mary said...

PS--Actually I lost 15 pounds, 5 before the surgery due to an acid reflux episode and then 10 after the surgery, which came off really slowly. I did used to weigh 125 about before I starting doing yoga. M

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?